5 Things to Know Before Scheduling an Abortion
1. If you are really pregnant, and if the pregnancy is viable.
Seeing a positive result on a pregnancy test does not always mean that you are (or will stay) pregnant. Up to 25% of pregnancies end in miscarriage, most in the first trimester. There is also a 1-2% chance of an ectopic (tubal) pregnancy, which poses a serious health risk if not identified and removed. A no-charge ultrasound at the Fort Worth Pregnancy Center will confirm the pregnancy and assess for heartbeat, location in the uterus and how far along you are.
2. You have time to make an informed choice.
When you are facing an unplanned pregnancy, it can feel like a crisis situation that needs an immediate resolution. Take a deep breath. It’s always a good idea to take time to research and think through your options. You deserve to make a decision of this magnitude with peace, not panic.
3. There are multiple types of abortion procedures.
There are a few types of abortion. The type you get will depend almost entirely on how far along you are in your pregnancy. That is why it is important to get pre-screened to confirm gestational age and viability of the pregnancy with a sonogram. (The Fort Worth Pregnancy Center offers this pre-screening service at no charge).
- The abortion pill: The abortion pill is in fact two medicines. The first pill ends the pregnancy and the second pill makes the womb contract, causing cramping, bleeding and the loss of the pregnancy similar to a miscarriage.
- Vacuum aspiration: Done under general or local anesthetic. Removes the pregnancy by suction.
- Dilatation and Evacuation: Carried out under general anesthetic, the pregnancy is removed using forceps through the cervix.
All abortion procedures have risks and potential for complications. Texas law requires that you are informed about these risks prior to your abortion. Be informed. Be sure.
4. You are not alone.
Depending on your situation, you may feel alone in this decision. You may think that nobody will understand what you are going through. Don’t walk through this decision on your own. Talk to other women that you trust and respect and who will have your best interests at heart. The client advocates at the Fort Worth Pregnancy Center are here to support you. No charge. No judgement. Just compassion and information.
5. This is your decision, no one else’s.
People around you may have strong feelings about what you should do about your pregnancy, but it’s your pregnancy. Whether you choose abortion, parenting or adoption, it is a forever decision that will change your life. Your future should be shaped by your heart, not pressure from others.