Most Common Signs of Early Pregnancy
Could you be pregnant?
Here are some common early signs of pregnancy to look out for. However, remember that every woman and every pregnancy is different. There’s no guarantee that you will experience any or all of these symptoms or when they will kick in.
Most common early pregnancy symptoms:
- Missed period. You might be pregnant if a week or more has passed without the start of your expected menstrual cycle. However, this symptom can be misleading if you are irregular and other factors besides pregnancy can cause a missed period.
- Tender, swollen breasts. Sore breasts are often one of the first early signs of pregnancy that women experience. Unfortunately, a lot of women also experience soreness as a normal part of their monthly menstrual cycle, so it can be hard to tell if it’s the typical breast tenderness before your period or an early pregnancy sign.
- “Morning sickness” (which can happen any time of day) typically begins about a month after you become pregnant. However, some women feel nausea earlier and some never experience it. Some experience a mildly upset stomach and others have trouble keeping food down entirely.
- Increased urination. Peeing more than usual? Having to urinate more frequently is among the standard pregnancy symptoms and tends to kick in about two to three weeks after conception.
- Having trouble getting out of bed? Fatigue also ranks high among early symptoms of pregnancy.
Other possible symptoms:
- Light spotting
- Food/smell aversions
- Nasal congestion
- Dizziness and fainting
Are you really pregnant?
As you just read, many of these signs and symptoms aren’t unique to pregnancy. Some can indicate that you’re getting sick or that your period is about to start. Likewise, you can be pregnant without experiencing many of these symptoms.
The only way to know for sure is with a pregnancy test to confirm the presence of the hCG hormone. Additionally, an ultrasound will confirm that the pregnancy is viable (likely to survive) and in the uterus. The Fort Worth Pregnancy Center provides both pregnancy testing and ultrasounds free of charge.
Schedule and initial consultation and get clarity on your options and next steps.