Are abortions allowed in Texas now that Roe v. Wade was overturned?
Wondering if you can still get an abortion in Texas? You have probably heard that on June 24, 2022, the US Supreme Court released its opinion overturning Roe v. Wade and returning the abortion question back to the states (1). As of August 25, 2022, the Texas Trigger Law (Chapter 170A, Texas Health & Safety Code) banned abortion in Texas (2).
What to know about the trigger law in Texas:
- Includes medical emergency exceptions (life & major bodily function)
- The law applies to those providing an abortion; women seeking an abortion will not be prosecuted
- Does not stop women from traveling outside of Texas for abortion
- Does not ban:
- In-Vitro Fertilization or other ARTs
- Birth control
- Emergency Contraception (Plan B, Ella, the Morning After Pill)
- Treating a miscarriage
- Treating an ectopic pregnancy
If you are considering abortion, the Fort Worth Pregnancy Center offers a no-charge, pre-abortion screening service to assess your pregnancy and review your options, so you can be fully informed.
Here is what to expect:
- We will verify your pregnancy with a lab-quality pregnancy test.
- We will inform you of all your options, including abortion procedures, risks, recovery time, and relevant laws.
- Our medical staff may provide an ultrasound to confirm a viable pregnancy, how far along you are, and to screen for the possibility of an ectopic (tubal) pregnancy.
Before you consider self-managed abortion or out-of-state travel, it is important to have your pregnancy medically verified and assessed. The Fort Worth Pregnancy Center offers this service free of charge.
- If your pregnancy is viable – up to 20% of known pregnancies end in miscarriage (3), and most miscarriages happen in the first trimester
- If you are at risk of an ectopic pregnancy, which can be life-threatening, if not treated (4)
- What to expect with a medical abortion (the abortion pill) or a surgical abortion
Our caring staff is available to confidentially answer your questions. Your health and well-being are our priority.
Call or text 817-924-9110 to schedule your free appointment.